Before You Install
The following are some basic facts about whats involved in installing
an irrigation system.
How irrigation systems are installed.
Water supply for irrigation system
- First we locate the pipe that runs from the municipality water supply
to your residence. Then the water is shut off for about 2 hrs to allow
for a connection tee to be installed to supply water for your irrigation
- At the end of this supply line a backflow is installed as per City
requirements. This device is very important part of your irrigation
system .The purpose of the backflow is to stop any Bacteria getting
into your house water supply through the irrigation system. (A blowout
for winterization is also in same box) For more information on this,
see the Backflow page
Working out the number of irrigation zones
- Once the backflow is installed, a water pressure tester is connected
to the line to find out what your water pressure is from the city supply
line. (It could be anywhere from 65 psi to 110 psi)
- This pressure tells us how many irrigation zones we will need to complete
your irrigation system.
- The job is then mapped out with irrigation flags to decide where the
irrigation heads go. (All irrigation lines from the Backflow are PVC
Pipe but will vary in size.)
- Irrigation valves are then installed to control each irrigation zone.
These are installed in irrigation valve boxes underground. (i.e.: if
you have 4 zones then you will need 4 irrigation valves)
- Wiring from these valves is run to the location of the irrigation
controller to be wired into the computer when ready.
Type of irrigation heads to be used
- From these valves you can then install the irrigation zones; all
the irrigation heads will usually pop up 3 inches in lawn areas. We
also install rotor heads that turn at different angles for larger lawn
- Drip systems are also installed for your pots if you wish.
- Riser heads are installed in garden areas to accommodate plants and
shrubs growing in the summer.
- All heads then have spray nozzles installed on them; the types are
dictated by the spray patterns. (i.e.: full circle sprays, half circle,
quarter circle and so on. They are all adjustable for the size of the
areas you need to cover.)
Location of irrigation controller and type
- The irrigation controller location is always decided before commencing
the job. It is usually installed in a garage and works off a standard
- Wiring from the irrigation valves is then installed into your irrigation
- Once all the irrigation as been installed and the job tided up the
next step is to run water through the irrigation lines to blow out any
debris in the lines .
- When the water is nice and clean the spray nozzles are installed and
the adjustments are made and the coverage is checked .
- The last step is to go over the irrigation computer so the homeowner
fully understands how to work the irrigation system. (A zone list is
made for the homeowner if over 6 zones are installed and is put on the
wall next to the controller)
To keep the warranty, a system service is required twice per year, spring
and winter . A fee is charged for this service depending on size of job.
Oliver Irrigation Ltd applies a two-year warranty on all parts and labour.